Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Stability ball squats

I’m a huge fan of the Olympics and watch as much of them as I can. It never fails, no matter how much I know about the athlete or don’t know I always experience the same feelings when I watch USA athletes compete. My heart starts to race, my nerves kick in, I’m at the edge of my seat, and my body tenses as if I’m the one competing. I feel the excitement and thrill of their win and the heartache of a loss or injury. These feelings come from a combined love and pride I have in my country as well as knowing what it means to be an athlete no matter the level!

I’m always amazed at the commitment and dedication all these athletes have with their sport. I totally get it and in another lifetime I would have been a professional athlete of some sort. Sometimes I fantasize about training 8-10 hours a day…conditioning and technical work, molding and shaping your body, your skills into a powerful machine. It’s so fascinating and exciting! Who wouldn’t want to work out at the gym, bike ride, swim, ski, snowboard, and skate all day long?! Yes, I realize it’s not all fun and games. A lot of blood, sweat, and tears go into becoming a great athlete but those athletes love it! I love it; just in a scaled down version :)

Ok, there really is a point to all this. The other day I watched Seth Wescott win the Gold Medal for Snowboard Cross. Amazing! There was a small excerpt on him and his training and I was just floored! As part of his off season training he does squats on top of a stability ball, not just a few but 100. WHAT?! My hero! Check it out:


Find more videos like this on Sugarloaf Community

Just goes to show how important it is to strengthen your core. I want to be able to do that. I realize to begin I would need lots of padding around me because a face plant or two would be the cards for me, lol! With a lot of practice and some sheer determination, I believe I can do it!

2 comments:

  1. Have you given the stability ball squats a try yet? =) The core strength of these athletes is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I haven't tried them yet. I've been brainstorming how I would manage to get on top of the ball...lol!

    ReplyDelete