Monday, January 25, 2010

New Year's Running Program

At the end of December, Sweaty Hugs suggested we join a running program that she found. The program’s goal is to help people run a 5k by the end of the two month training. Kind of like a couch to 5k training program. I’m not exactly a beginner runner as I’ve been running consistently for about 1.5 years. After a bit of research and discussion with the coaches, I decided to join.

We meet up once a week at a local high school outdoor track. Our sessions are structured to where we do a group run and then meet up afterwards at a nearby Dunkin Donuts (for coffee/tea) for discussions. The discussion part was my main reason for joining this running program. I knew I could learn a lot about running just during this 30 minute discussion. We also have running homework to be completed on Sun/Tues/Thurs. My homework is slightly different from everyone else. I’m working on learning how to pace myself outside by doing intervals and other exercises.

Ron is our head coach and he is an experienced runner and triathlete. He has competed and completed the Kona IronMan in Hawaii as well as a number of marathons and other races. Susan is our other coach and Ron’s protégé. She is very positive and highly motivating. Both of them have a wealth of knowledge that I’m anxious to soak in.

Our first session was January 3 and the program is set to run through the end of February beginning of March. In the past four sessions, we’ve run in 25mph arctic winds, snow, and rain! Yesterday was the first day we had relatively good weather, cloudy no rain and about 45 degrees. Also, this is the first time I’ve ever run in the cold and in the winter for that matter! It’s a very humbling experience, but one I’m thrilled to be a part of! It’s a great feeling knowing that I can run in winter and survive. Lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment