Thursday, December 31, 2009

Baked Lentil Casserole

A new recipe to try in 2010! I got this recipe from a co-worker. She is a vegetarian and said she really loved this recipe. I made it a few days ago and all I can say is YUM! It is rich in flavor and texture. I have yet to tire of the leftovers! My slight variations/comments are in red.

1 – 12oz package dried, rinsed lentils <- store brand = $.80

2 C. water

1 bay leaf

2 tsp salt

1/4 tsp pepper

1/4 tsp sage

1/4 tsp thyme

1/4 tsp cumin

2 large onions, chopped

2 cloves garlic, minced <- at store I removed 2 cloves from fresh garlic = cheap

1 – 28oz can tomatoes, either crushed or petit diced, with juice <- used what I had 2-14 oz cans of diced tomatoes, one was no salt added and the other had green chiles mixed in.

2 large carrots cut in 1/8 inch slices

1 stalk celery, chopped

1 yellow or red pepper, chopped

2 T. parsley, finely chopped

1.5 C. shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Place lentils in a shallow glass 13x9 inch baking dish with water, bay leaf, salt, pepper, sage, thyme, cumin, onions, garlic, and tomatoes with juice. Bake covered in a 375 degree oven for 30 minutes.

Add celery and carrot and bake covered for 40 more minutes.

Remove from oven, stir in parsley (I actually mixed the parsley in with the chopped celery and carrots and added in the step above) and sprinkle cheese on top. Bake uncovered for 5 more minutes (or until cheese is melted).





Happy New Year!

3 comments:

  1. Did you let any of your family try it out?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, my mom and sister tried it. They both liked it but had their own suggestions to make it more to their liking...more cheese and cook the carrots longer were their only suggestions :)

    I personally like the bit of crunch from the carrots.

    ReplyDelete