Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Week 1 Day 1

Today was the first day of my 3 week training plan to a faster 5k. My mission was to run an easy 2 miles at a 11:14 pace. My mission of running 2 miles was accomplished; however I completely failed at running at the 11:14 pace. I ended up running a tad over 2 miles at ~7:52 pace. Big OOPS! I know your probably thinking, is she crazy, she ran faster that should be good, right?! It’s not bad, but I really want to stick to the plan to see if the science behind the different paces/tempos/repeats really does make me run faster come race day.

I stepped outside, the sun was shining, there was a slight breeze, the temperature was an awesome 70 degrees, I turned my IPod on and it was all over! I downloaded several new songs today and HOLY SMOKES did they make a difference. The first song in my new list was My Time (thanks Jamie for the recommendation!). The song started and I immediately felt chills run up and down my body; the chills you get when you literally feel a song that good! My feet started tingling and I just couldn’t wait to get started. What an awesome feeling!

These lyrics especially, spoke to me:

“Go hard today. Can’t worry bout the past, coz that was yesterday. Ima put it on the line coz it’s my time…”

I started off fast and was trying to slow down both mentally and physically, but the beat of the music was propelling my feet. I was really pumped! My next easy run is next Tuesday. I’m going to change my strategy up by listening to more relaxed chill music. Slow it down some!

4 comments:

  1. I soo need some good workout music! I am finding mine is too slow!

    I am interested to see if the more relaxed music makes a difference :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, for new tunes! What a great motivator. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brenda,
    That is an amazing pace 2 mile pace! I've never timed my miles but I would imagine it's closer to 9 minutes. I never knew you were this active before. I am inspired!!!!

    -Stephen

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL...Stephen...it's been awhile! But the "Brenda" name only comes out during volleyball!

    ReplyDelete