Thursday, September 3, 2009

Week 1 Day 2 = Speedwork

Today was my first day ever doing any organized speedwork. I debated trying to run on a local school track, but didn’t want to risk being booted off. So I headed to the gym, which was very painful because the weather is unbelievable!

I ran a total of 5 miles in 51:19. This included an easy 1.5 mile warm-up. I then did 3 x 800 meter runs in 4:19. In between each repeat I jogged 400 meters. For my cool-down I ran 1.25 miles to complete my 5 miles.

I did complete each 800 meters in under 4:19. I made sure I ran a slow 400 meters in between allowing myself to recuperate and be ready to run the next 800 meters.

The workout was challenging. I did notice a small cramp creeping its way into my side but managed to keep a full blown cramp at bay. I didn’t hydrate enough before my run, which is probably the cause of the cramp. I also had a slight headache off and on throughout the end of the run. One last thing…I really need to learn how to relax my upper body when I run. Like a lot of people I hold tension in my neck and shoulders. I’d say about 50% of my runs are uncomfortable for the simple fact that either my right or left shoulder is tight. Over and over again I have to remind myself to relax and allow my body to move in a natural flow while running.

All in all, I’m quite pleased with my first speedwork run. I believe doing speedwork outside on a track or wherever will be more challenging because I have to pace myself instead of the treadmill setting my pace. This is part of my goal…learning to run outside successfully!

No comments:

Post a Comment