Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Mediterranean Stuffed Bell Peppers

The other day I tried a new recipe which included an ingredient that was also very new to me. It called for Quinoa. If you were like me than you were thinking, what is quinoa? According to wikipedia, it’s “a species of goosefoot (Chenopodium), is a grain-like crop grown primarily for its edible seeds.” Quinoa can be used as a rice and/or couscous substitute.

I thought the stuffed peppers were just ok. The recipe called for quinoa, diced tomatoes drained, feta cheese, and fresh basil. The fresh basil was too overpowering, so I ended up picking out most of it. I think I prefer fresh cooked basil. I also felt it was missing something in flavor, but I’m not sure what. I’m thinking if I added some balsamic vinaigrette to the mix, it might have been more satisfying. Maybe. I also realized that I prefer cooked stuffed peppers as opposed to raw peppers. I discovered my stomach doesn’t like that much raw peppers. But than again I guess I never really practically ate a whole pepper in one sitting. I also think you could use small to medium sized peppers instead of large peppers. Large was a bit too much red pepper for me. I may or may not make this again, we shall see! The prep time and cook time didn't take long at all. I also cooked the Quinoa in too much water, I think it is suppose to look fluffier and maybe not quite so slimy. It looks slimy but didn't taste slimy.

The stuffed peppers did look really colorful and yummy! Oh and I do like quinoa!


5 comments:

  1. It does look very colorful. I think a whole red pepper might be a little much for me too. I can handle peppers but in small doses.

    Looking forward to seeing what you make next!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It actually smelled good the other day, but quinoa just looks weird to me....LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. You said it was good but it looks like fish eggs...eeewwwwhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. you are soo right Karen! Thats what it looks like....lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for stopping by and commenting on my blog! :) I have yet to try quinoa, but it's one of those things that are on my list to try. Love red peppers. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete