Sunday, July 12, 2009

Knee Brace vs. Knee Strap

In 2007, I played the role of Horse while my niece and nephew played the role of cowboy and cowgirl. I took them on a nice horseback ride, crawling around on my hands and knees all over the house. While it was very entertaining, this old horse needed a break, so buck them off I did! I headed up the stairs (on two legs) and discovered that my right knee started to crack. It sounded like a nut caught in a nutcracker. Although annoying to the ear, it wasn't painful.

Every now and again my right knee would ache but it wasn't anything that bothered me. Until a couple of weeks ago; my right knee started to ache more consistently, during workouts and not. At the end of June, I went to see an orthopedic doctor. They told me I had Patellofemoral Syndrome.

According to the pamphlet provided me by the doc, printed by Syntex Laboratories:

This syndrome is caused by an irritation of the undersurface of the patella (kneecap), which is normally smooth. The irritation can lead to a roughening of the patella undersurface, a condition called chrondromalacia. The patella glides up and down in a shallow groove formed by the femur (thigh bone) and its covering ligaments. The pain is caused when increasing tension gradually increases the pressure between the patella and the femur. The irritation and roughening of the patella cause inflammation that causes pain.

Contributing Factors:

• When the patella is not centered in the groove of the femur, there is an imbalance that results in wear and tear.
• This poor alignment can be identified on special knee x-rays.
• Overuse, especially the pounding shocks absorbed during jogging, hiking, or downhill running.
• Knock knees
• Abnormal twisting or rotation of the lower leg
• Flat (pronated) feet
• Weak front and inner thigh muscles
• Previous injury to the knee
• Family tendency
• Obesity

Treatment: Rest, Ice, Medication, Physical Therapy, Surgery

They provided me with a knee brace and told me I could wear it as needed. They showed me the correct way to wear it. My question to the doctor was, "Do I have to wear this out of the office?" He just chuckled and ever so politely said no and helped me take the brace off. Here is what it looked like:



It practically covered my whole leg! It was extremely uncomfortable, hot, and constricting. Not sure how they expected me to workout in this thing. Needless to say, I did not wear the brace. My decision to not wear the brace didn't ease the pain. About a week ago, my knee was really bothering me during my Boot camp class. My instructor suggested I try a knee strap. A knee strap is so much more appealing than the crazy knee brace, but does it work?



Thursday I gave the knee strap a try during my Boot camp class. My knee felt supported and there was no pain. I felt a twinge here and there but nothing major. I tried it again Friday during my workout:

warm-up: 1 mile (1o min run)
stretch
strength training: hamstrings, calves, and shoulders
cardio: 20 mins on StairMaster
stretch

In the evening I also did a run/walk for about 1 hour with my friend on a gravel trail.

So far my knee feels great during my workouts! Now it could be all in my mind or it could actually be working. Hey, doesn't matter to me as long as I'm feeling comfortable during my workouts. I did notice when I took the knee strap off my knee felt a bit sore when I started walking. I'm going to try stretching after my workouts with it off, see if that will eliminate any of the soreness. I'll provide an update in about a week or so.

5 comments:

  1. It doesn't help having a genetic tendency like Daddy does it. You keep it up. I'm so proud of you, Baby,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy knee brace! Can you imagine the tan line that monster would give you? LOL Just kidding! I'm so glad you were able to find a better solution with the little strap. That knee of yours is important!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So are you blaming my kids for this condition! LOL They are rough on ones body, especially if it is not there own. I have the same thing only it is very minor at this point. Genetics I would have to say is the biggest culprit. LOL (Let's just blame it on someone else.) Keep up the good work! I love reading your writings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was helpful, I am also considering a knee strap instead of brace and the first hand encounter helped me make my decision! I am doing it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corflex knee wraps incorporate heavy-duty knee hinges for the best medial knee support and lateral knee support. Medial and lateral knee instability typically results from inward and outward turning of the knee and is common in sports such as football and hockey.

    ReplyDelete