Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Running for Pennies

7/13 meals and workout

Meal 1: Kashi Go Lean Honey & Cinnamon Oatmeal, hardboiled egg, English Breakfast tea
Snack: Banana
Meal 2: Leftover tilapia, tri-color chickpea salad on spinach leaves, plum
Snack: Large handful of blackberries and Kashi chewy granola bar
Meal 3: Kashi Mexicali black bean pizza, small spinach salad w/carrots & sprouts, small handful of blackberries

Workout:
Week 4/Day 1 of Onehundredpushups
Stretch
Run: ~3.6 miles at 36.29 minutes = 10.08 minute mile
Stretch

Knee Status: Wore the strap. My knee was a bit sore starting off, but after getting into a comfortable stride the soreness went away.

When I got home from work yesterday evening it was still too warm for me to run outside. So I took a 20 minute nap. Got changed and did my pushups for the day. At around 7pm, I decided to head out. I walked for about 3 minutes to warm-up.

My goal for yesterday’s run was to pace myself. Last Monday’s run was a disaster. I don’t run outside all that much, which is crazy being the weather has been so great! The hardest part for me when running outside is setting a comfortable pace. I almost always start out way too fast. That’s what happened last Monday, 4 minutes into my run I was already breathing heavily. I ran/walked and only ended up running for 22 minutes. I had no energy to go farther. Very frustrating!

Yesterday I focused on starting out at a somewhat slower pace. I ran the first loop in about 17 minutes. The second loop, I ran and walked at a 4:1 ratio. I found my stride feeling stronger and my breathing more controlled. I got the idea of run/walk from reading other blogs and them referencing the Galloway Method. The idea is to run/walk at the beginning and middle of your run and then as needed towards the end.

For some, having to walk during a run may seem like a failure. In the past, I’ve been hard on myself if I had to stop and walk when it wasn’t in the plan. But after more and more reading, I’m learning that walking is a valuable tool in your training for any type of race and achieving your personal goals. I’ve only just started testing out this method, time will tell. I can say that I felt GREAT after my run last night!

Almost forgot…while I was running I noticed lots of pennies on the ground. It took A LOT of restraint not to stop and pick them up. You may laugh and say “they are only pennies, forget about them!” NO WAY! I am always finding money (coins mostly) on the ground and I almost always pick them up no matter if they are heads or tails up (no superstitions for me). Every American coin says “In God We Trust,” and I do my best not to pass up anything that has something to do with God! I didn’t come up with this concept myself; I heard/read about a man who gave this reasoning. I thought it was a fabulous concept! I also heard somewhere that money found is left by a family member or friend that has passed. Whether, it’s true or not, I don’t care! It makes me feel good and I felt all warm and fuzzy inside during my run last night knowing I had two “cheerleaders.” Now I just need to remember to bring something to carry my treasures in! Happy Running!

4 comments:

  1. Rock on with your running self!LOL

    I love Jeff Galloway. His method makes so much sense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wasn't it Sylvia Brown that used to say that about money found on the ground is from someone who has passed and just wants you to know they are there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahh yes, I believe it was Sylvia Brown. Thanks mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that is a great way to think about money found on the ground. I never heard of that before.

    Glad you had a successful run/walk. I can't get over how healthy your meals are. I haven't even heard of some of those things.

    ReplyDelete